Dear Baby,

I am sure someday you will ask my about Chinese martical arts. In the movie, skinny Chinese guys/girls beat up big fat villains with one finger. Yes, your mom did dream about having that kind of skills to kill the bad guys. Unfortunaly I only learned sword fighting (or to be more precise, sword dancing) for a couple ofmonths, I did think about jumping up and down the hole wearing sandbag, poking rice sack or hitting tree trucks or walls, but none of those lasted more than one week.

However, like many people who grew up at the same time, or even nowadays, I was deeply influeced by the martial arts novels, not so much by the amazing gong fu the heroic characters had, buy by their dream, their life principal, their pride and courage. They didn't make promise easily but once they did, they would do anything to keep their promises. The loved their friends, but also respected their enemies. They defined what a real "MAN" should act like.

There were three famous martial arts novel writers: Charles Cha, Long Gu, Yusheng Liang. My favorite is Long Gu. Gu lived a very interesting life and created some very interesting characters. Gu's novel definitely helped to shape mom's life phylosophy.

Gu said, if your friend betrayed you, don't blame him, blame yourself. Because you made a mistake by letting him to be your friend.

Gu said, never, never regret anything you did. Because if you did it, you had a good reason to do it at the time. You should take the consequence instead of regretting it.

I definetly took those two things to heart. Therefore, I never hate anybody I liked or loved no matter how they treated me. Therefore, I never regret any choice I have made in my life.

Gu did not write very good stories. As a matter of fact, his stories sometimes did not even make sense and the phrases and sentences were very repetitive. What touched the readers were his characters. They were lonely, sad but also strong, brave and courageous.

Dear baby, mom will teach you Chinese and let you read those stories yourself. However, those books did not promote the practical way to live lives. A lot of mom's stubborness came from those novels, but at the same time, those martial arts heroes did help mom to live a life the way she enjoys.

0 comments